- Course text designed for doctoral nursing ethics courses
- Case studies provided for real-world examples and classroom discussion
- Contains updated website URLs throughout for further information
- Includes updated appendix of basic state-by-state regulations for nurse practitioners
- Presentation of the new ANA Ethical Standards
- Clinically focused chapters are updated to reflect specialty-specific changes
- Includes changes to the 2018 Common Rule
- References updated throughout
Designed for ethics courses in nursing PhD and DNP programs, the book fills the need for an expanded view of required ethics content in the nursing curriculum given the increasing responsibilities and decision-making authority of advanced practice nurses. The second edition preserves the line-up of chapters while providing updates to the ANA Ethical Standards, the listing of state-by-state regulations, and changes to the 2019 Common Rule. Coverage of ethical patient care, care in vulnerable populations, legal influences on ethical care, ethical businesses practices, and research ethics are discussed and analyzed by experts, with special attention to cases where ethical theory must be applied in clinical and managerial decisions. Case studies provide real-world examples and facilitate classroom discussion.
Specific chapters are devoted to research, legal and business ethics. Other chapters address ethics in pediatric, mental health, and women’s health practice. This text is ideally suited for nursing doctoral course students, faculty, and nurse leaders.