About DEStech Open Access (OA) Books
DEStech OA Books is our publishing program model that allows authors and their research funders to publish open access solely authored or multi-authored books. Upon publication, DEStech OA Books are immediately accessible in digital format under a Creative Commons license.
DEStech Open Access is available for English-language publication in any of our subject areas, including all technical areas and nursing and healthcare. This publishing model meets the needs of research authors and funders who require immediate and wide-reaching dissemination of results to further on-going study. Additionally, it is a service for those scholars and funders who wish to support open access publication.
Benefits of Publishing Your Book with DEStech OA Books
- Immediately upon publication, your research monograph will be freely available online at DPI (our online platform). Readers will be able to read your book online, or download a DRM-free PDF.
- By providing your book free of charge, your work is far more likely to be downloaded and cited than if published in a conventional (for pay) method.
- Your book will be discoverable and visible via key search engines and indexing services. We will deposit a copy in OAPEN (Open Access Publishing in European Networks) and in the DOAB (Directory of Open Access Books) as well as any other repository requested. We will submit your work to all appropriate Indexing services along with any services your Funder requires or recommends.
- We will work with your Funder to provide the Creative Commons Licensing that they require. Our preferred license is the CC BY-NC-ND (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommerical-NoDerivs) whereby others may download and share your book, as long as they credit you; but they cannot change it in any way, or use it commercially. This license also allows for text and data mining of your work.
- You may retain intellectual copyright with the provisions of the Creative Commons License.
- The cover design of your book will carry the DEStech Publications imprint and logo.
- For customers who would like a printed copy of the book, a bound print version will be available for purchase.
What types of books can be published by DEStech OA Books?
- The DEStech Open Access model is reserved for specialist research monographs (single-authored, multiple author, or edited collections) where the content reflects research provided by a funding institute. Textbooks and large professional references are excluded.
Publication Charges and What they Cover
- Publication charges are $8,000US for a book up to and including 150 pages and $11,000US for a book 151-400 book pages.
- DEStech OA Books receive the same production process as conventional titles, and benefit from the same attention to detail, design, and professionalism from our staff.
- Your book will be copyedited and you will receive a set of page proofs to review. The cover of your book will be professionally designed and we will arrange for an Index to be compiled based on a list of keywords you provide.
- All DEStech OA Book titles are subject to our normal rigorous peer review to ensure scholarly quality and integrity.
- All DEStech OA Book titles receive the same promotion and marketing as our conventional titles including a dedicated webpage, email promotion, and inclusion in our international distributors catalog.
- Contact our DEStech OA Book Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further discussion.