- Over 90 selected papers from this recently held international workshop
- Investigates structural health monitoring (SHM) design, sensors, networks, “big data” analytics, prognostics, and modeling for trains and rail infrastructure
- Health monitoring tied to condition-based maintenance and big data for railroad operation and safety
- Optical, bioinspired, and self-diagnostic sensors in wired and wireless networks
- Guide to monitoring train engines, active train on-line monitoring systems, freight and passenger cars, rails and rail bed, bearings, materials, welds, motors and more
- Strategies for train, subway, trams and trolley systems
The latest research on applying structural health monitoring to railways under the theme Real Time Safety Assurance and Life-time Operation Efficiency is now available on a flash drive. The focus of the research investigations is on how SHM technologies are used to determine the condition of virtually every component of a rail line, including rolling stock, motors, track, ballast, coupling, welds, and bearings—as well as infrastructure such as bridges and tunnels. The objective is to demonstrate how SHM sensors, signaling, and networks can best be deployed to diagnose and predict materials’ properties throughout a rail system, with a view to improving operational safety, controlling variables like vibration, and facilitating condition-based maintenance based on local and big data. Papers discuss a range of EMU equipment, as well as advanced high-speed lines, and MagLev trains.
From the Preface
Due to recent significant advancements in sensor technologies as well as “big data” sciences, Structural Health Monitoring Technology (SHM) has been recognized as the key technology for providing cost-effective real-time safety assurance and operation efficiency of structural platforms across multiple industries. The Workshop assesses and evaluates state-of-the-art SHM technologies that are particularly applicable for railway applications, especially more mature sensor network-based techniques, and discusses and identifies key emerging technical breakthroughs and challenges. Roadmaps for implementation and international standardization of SHM technology for railway industry is particularly emphasized.