- Understanding and helping at-risk students
- First book to present in-depth, research-based information on at-risk students in schools today
- Identification and characteristics of at-risk students, and their impact on social and school environment
- Components and analysis of effective prevention and intervention programs
- Selection of Learner’s Edge
At-risk students present a major and growing problem in US schools today. Now in a completely updated second edition, Shadow Children: Understanding Education’s #1 Problem provides an in-depth, research based examination of the at-risk problem and population by a leading authority. Included is a section of 5 chapters that provides guidance in prevention and intervention programs. The new edition is the primary text for Learner’s Edge popular distance learning course “The Courage to Care: Working with At-Risk Students”.
How can educators identify, assess, understand and help at-risk students? This book provides in-depth answers to key questions such as: Who are today’s at-risk children? How do children become at-risk? What are the characteristics of at-risk children—how do they impact the social and school environment? What are the components of effective prevention and intervention programs? The answers to these and questions provided by a leading authority will help you understand and deal with the growing issue of at-risk students in U.S. schools today.